May 2014 Archives

Philco Kegerator Cart

Fabrication.jpgFor some time I had some ideas as to how to make my Philco Kegerator mobile. I wanted to install some brackets with square tubing on the bottom of the fridge. The tubing would be welded to angle iron. I would bolt the angle iron to the fridge using the nuts welded to the bottom of the fridge, the ones that the feet thread into. This would allow me to create a cart with forks that slid into the tubing. It would also allow me to create a set of casters that would have two individual C shaped brackets, maybe more like an E without the middle line.  Instead of using the forks on the cart, the brackets would slide in, one in the front and one in the rear. I would use pins to secure the bracket to either casters or the forks of the cart.

I sat on the idea for a few years until the time came to move. I didn't really have the time or money to roll out the cart design so I decided to throw something else together, a wooden dolly perhaps. However, after much thought I decided that I should just go forward with the initial design. The entire point of my cart idea was that you would be able to move the fridge without wrapping straps around it. Straps could potentially dent the fridge or damage the finish.

I still had no welder, and I would be out of town with less than a week on my return to build the cart prior to moving. I purchased the square tubing, angle iron, and a rod for the axle. Then I picked up a couple inexpensive tires and wheels. I ordered the parts I needed for my welder and my good friend Mike picked them up for me while I was out of town. Chris another friend, arranged for me to use his garage and cutoff saw on my return.

Bottom_Bracket.jpgKegerator_Cart.jpgMy welder idea never did amount to much. Thanks to Chris I was not only able to use his garage, but also his welder, he did the welding and a fair amount of engineering for me. After some slight modifications to the design I opted for one Bracket for the bottom that connected both pieces of tubing. In one Sunday afternoon we knocked it out. After a little cleanup I dropped it off with my friend Russ at Kenowa Body Shop. I created the 'headrest' for the cart and I was all set. Well after a few trips to White Creek Hardware for fasteners that is.

I decided to go with bolts that threaded into the bracket as opposed to pins. This eliminated the need to reach under the cart to install a cotter pin. A person could use a few different approaches, as it turned out this worked very well.

I strapped it into the uhaul and it made it without incident all the way to Georgia.


The Brewmaster


Supporting Advertisers

The Real Deal

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from May 2014 listed from newest to oldest.

April 2014 is the previous archive.

October 2014 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.